Fine Dining

Author: Mattheus,MrCarLover1A133 // Category:

A humble sized but still refined looking garden separated us and the entrance to the Japanese restaurant. In the middle of it, stood two miniature fountains. Potted plants were lined up against one side of the garden; on the other, a waterfall, with the restaurant's name plated in chrome lying above it, mounted against a wall.

We were celebrating my brother's birthday in advance, and after much contemplation had arrived at this restaurant as our choice destination of the celebration. Excited as always, I took the lead and eagerly strode through the garden. Arriving at the entrance, I anticipated the normal door handles and was about to reach out and push one of the doors open, when the two doors slid open. Instantly, I was welcomed with a blast of cold air. A good first impression, I noted to myself. I looked around the restaurant in interest, as the rest of my family members appeared behind me. Based on the miniature garden, I had not expected the restaurant to be very big, and what I saw reassured my assumptions. A bar-like counter with chairs placed all around it was situated at the right side of the restaurant and on the left, two tables with tatami mats. I had seen this kind of arrangements from television shows promoting Japan, and was delighted at the close resemblance to to them.

Almost as soon as we had all stepped into the restaurant, a tall and burly man donning a chef's uniform and cap received us with a smile and led us to one of the tables, which we had reserved earlier on. Introducing himself as the manager and head of the restaurant, he quickly moved on to recommending the signature dishes of the restaurant. It took us a while to sort out our dinner menu, but we got it done eventually, and thereafter, went on a "tour" round the restaurant. It turned out that there were more tables and tatami seats, concealed behind three rooms with partitioned doors. In addition, there was another room housing two normal wooden tables along with a sofa and TV set. It was explained to us that those were rooms that had to be booked beforehand, along with a course meal which you decided on personally based on the dishes served at the restaurant. When asked about how many days in advance arrangements had to be made, the chef also told us that one day was enough, but Tuesdays and Fridays were better days to make reservations on, as seafood was flown in from Japan on these two specific days.

A while later, our food arrived. Being avid Japanese food fans, we could tell the difference between the quality of the food served here and those in normal outlets, such as Suki Sushi. Absolutely fantastic. However, this being a place of fine dining, I had to watch how I ate and spoke. I was often told off by my parents for speaking too loudly and handling my utensils wrongly. What followed was a very awkward me, trying to figure out the most refined way to hold my utensils and at the same time, ensuring that I was not consuming my food in a boorish manner, while trying my best to control the volume at which I spoke.

The dinner though, was overall a good experience. I enjoyed every single bit of food which entered my mouth, save a few pickles, and the ambiance and comfort of the restaurant further complimented the fine dining experience. The bill, you may ask? A whopping $293.65, even after a twenty percent discount. My jaw dropped when I realized how much we had spent on one dinner. My parents however, reasoned that a birthday celebration was a once a year affair. What's more, this had been the first time we had gone for fine dining as a family. Hmmm... Thanks Ma and Pa, but I think I'll stick to Suki Sushi.

5 Responses to "Fine Dining"

Yihan 2A112 Says :
August 8, 2010 at 4:59 PM

So good ._. Jap food.
Heheh. I like the grand total of your...bill. lol Suki Sushi. I like that too.

Yuejun Says :
August 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Wow, nice description of the restaurant. Kind of exaggerated? Nevertheless, you must have had a great time - fine dining. Your description entices me to visit the restaurant too... Ahh wait, you omitted the address. :X

Dining etiquette - yeah, the Japanese are really peculiar about it. Frankly speaking, I ain't really good at holding chopsticks and knives too.

And wow, the price. $293.65. I agree with your parents' reasoning, but... I'm sure mine will start to complain. But if the dinner would leave fine memories, then why not? It'll be worth it.

Cheers! (:

matt Says :
August 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM

>Yihan: The price is so not nice! Bleah ;P

>Yuejun: Haha, okay thanks for the feedback! (: Fine dining is, well... I think it's something that most of us won't want to go for frequently. The price is. Gosh. :/

bowyshot Says :
August 17, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Nice description of the threshold of the restaurant! I always find fine dining a waste of money though...just once or twice a year is enough. The bill is crazy but that’s what you get from fine dining…a scam! You could have included the name of the restaurant you visited…you missed out the most crucial thing!

Zach Says :
August 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

This is my opinion of sushi. Frankly, it is little more than an overpopularised, over-priced piece of seafood and rice. But then again, if you cut all these high-end meals to the bone(pun intended) they are just normal food brought to the extreme edge of design and exquisiteness. The bill, is well.... Let's just say this. I rather spend it on electricity.

Post a Comment