Music and lyrics: Part of me

Author: Mattheus,MrCarLover1A133 // Category:

You don't have to be a close friend of mine to know my widely publicized love for music. Currently, I have approximately almost 650 songs in my iTunes music library, a significant increase from the slightly-above-100 I had at the start of the year. Having specified what kind of music I listen to in my debut post, I shall now list down three things I look for in a good song.

1.) Lyrics:
The song itself can be catchy but it never gets into my good books (tunes in this case), if it doesn't contain wholesome and appropriate lyrics.

2.) Vocals:
A nice music track definitely has to be complimented with vocals which stand out, or at least touch you in some manner. Unlike several of my peers, I feel music alone doesn't stand well by itself.

3.) Tune:
A good song definitely makes you want to sing along.

I guess the tune and vocals of a song are more or less recognized as important in a world of music. You may be asking however, why I value lyrics so much.



Lyrics are the main part of a song; the body. A song with inspiring and uplifting lyrics is a good encourager when you are feeling down; likewise, lyrics wallowing in self-pity and self-denial have the ability to make you feel depressed and sorrowful. In this time and age, songs revolving impure subjects, such as suicide and sex are rampant. Worst of all, these songs most of the time have big choruses which are able to hook themselves into your mind even after having listened to them only once. Impure thoughts then start to infiltrate your mind, and before you know it, it's part of you. Likewise, if you choose to listen to songs with good lyrics, positivity and optimism become part of you.

It's hard to stick to your own morals and values, when our modern world encompasses a big portion of immorality and negativity which might eventually corrupt our minds. However, I do believe that by choosing songs with the right lyrics, we will be able to preserve our right states of mind and not be overwhelmed with following the world constantly, even when it is headed in the wrong direction.

Images courtesy of:

3 Responses to "Music and lyrics: Part of me"

JoelLee2A114 Says :
August 20, 2010 at 7:45 AM

I totally agree with how important lyrics are to a song. A good song is nothing without good lyrics! (: Some lyrics are truly able to touch others every time they are played. Personally, I like lyrics for how they can reflect the mood of an individual at a certain point of time. This songs usually leave a lasting impact and stays in the mind of the person. :D

However, just a side note, a good song definitely requires a good atmosphere brought about by the tune. :D

2A116 Gary Leong Says :
August 20, 2010 at 7:46 AM

Yes I fully agree with you.Songs do make up an important part of everyone's life , it cheers us up and so on.Though most songs revolves around sex and violence , at least there are still singing legends that would never change.

thatferalchild-Alston Says :
August 20, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I agree that lyrics do define you as a person. Selena Gomez's songs contain wholesome lyrics so i like them :D

Post a Comment